Sunday, May 25, 2014

Here comes summer!

We had a whirlwind end to the semester at UIndy.  April is typically Peter's busiest month in the hall, and I was totally overwhelmed with grading for the courses I taught.

At the end of March, Colin was getting over a double ear/eye infection.  They gave him Amoxicillin, which was something he had had before.  On the second-to-last day of the dose, we started seeing a few spots.


Since he had taken Amoxicillin before, I didn't even consider that he could be having an allergic reaction (despite the fact that I am allergic to it, and break out just as he did...).  It got much worse over the next several days, and there was nothing we could do.  He felt miserable and was much snugglier than usual.



It did finally break, and he seemed fine after that.  I was hoping he wouldn't share that allergy with me, as it does make it difficult to find medicine sometimes.  (Try adding in the fact that you're breastfeeding and allergic to penicillin, amoxicillin, and ceclor when you have an ear infection--that makes the doctor work for it!

I headed to Baltimore at the beginning of April for our national OT conference, where my second year research group was presenting.  I was gone from Wednesday-Sunday, and Peter was exhausted from Colin by the time I got back, I think.  I got to stay right across from the Orioles' stadium though, and I spent several days with my best friend, who I hadn't seen in a long time.


I came home, we survived through a few more weeks of the semester, and I headed off to Pittsburgh to present my doctoral capstone to the faculty and my classmates.  It was a pretty short trip for me, and I was glad to get back home to Peter and Colin again.  We went back to Pittsburgh last weekend for my graduation.  I thought the ceremony was too long, but I was grateful that my parents came with us.  I'm not sure Peter would have survived the ceremony without them!





I'm headed to Orlando for work tomorrow through Thursday, then Peter and I leave for Costa Rica to celebrate our 5-year anniversary on Tuesday.  It's a busy summer around here!

Colin has loved getting to play outside lately.  We bought him a few outdoor toys to try and keep him entertained.  He took another round of swim lessons through our Parks & Rec department, and he did a great job.  We've been to the zoo a couple of times, most recently yesterday.  The new orangutan exhibit opened to the public yesterday, and even though Colin was "All done monkeys," we got to see a few of them up close and personal.

 They let the flamingos out to eat, and they walked around and let people pet them.

 The nice thing about going early in the morning is that the animals get nice and close.  We had this close of an encounter with one of the cheetahs also.

Appropriately playing with the water table.

 Not so appropriately.

 Just a boy and his dog, who still wishes he would just go away.

Still trying to figure out the way the slide works.

He loves all of the neighborhood dogs.  He calls them all by name as soon as he hears them or sees them.  He's enjoying getting to play with the little boy who lives next door as well, and sometimes as soon as we walk outside, he yells, "MATTHEW!!"  Matthew is a little less sure of Colin's enthusiasm.

He transitioned to another room at daycare, as they continue to expand.  Thankfully he got to stay with one of his teachers that he was familiar with, as well as some of his friends.  He likes to give everyone a high-five when he leaves for the day.

His language has boosted again in the past week or so, as he is finally realizing he can string words together.  Right now we hear a lot of "Bye-bye vacuum" or whatever object/person he is saying good-bye to, as well as "Mommy up!" when he wants me to follow him around the house somewhere.  We've also heard more of "Yay Daddy!" or whoever he is cheering for.  He's working on counting to 10 (we consistently get to 4 independently, then it's a little shaky from there), and he loves colors, buses, and air planes.  Every time we're outside and a plane flies over, he goes nuts.  He loves to go for walks with Ella, and he is still eating well.  I already fear for how he will eat me out of house and home when he gets older.

While we're anxious to leave him for our trip to Costa Rica, we know he's going to have a blast with his grandparents.  And we're excited to take his first vacation with us to the beach this summer for a family reunion.  


All in all, he's a pretty happy kid.








No comments:

Post a Comment