Sunday, September 9, 2012

Peter's version of Colin's arrival

Neither of us read each others' stories, I promise. Here's Peter's version of Friday/Saturday last week!

I had just come home on a normal Friday afternoon, and had gone through my normal routine of going upstairs, changing out of my work clothes, and talking with Alison. We had received a letter in the mail about hour Home Owners Association and I was telling her I wanted to go to the community pool that evening to see what was going on with the Association. Through most of this discussion, Alison had been sitting on the floor with Ella. As I was helping her off the ground so we could go downstairs for dinner, I heard a small pop and noticed a quick look of what I took as pain flash across Alison’s face. That look quickly turned into the happiest grin of surprise I have ever seen on her face! It was at that point she told me her water broke.
                Those first few moments after her water breaking were nothing but exciting and happy for me! I couldn’t believe it was finally here. The day we would actually go up to the hospital and come home with our son. I was so excited I’m sure I looked nervous. I knew Alison had already been pretty dilated as of the previous Tuesday, so I fully expected Alison to tell me her doctor wanted her to go right up to the hospital. I guzzled some food and packed the remainder of our bag and the car. Our trip up to the hospital was one of the longest drives of my life. I began to worry a little that we wouldn’t even make it to the hospital in time when Alison’s contractions became closer together (under 5 min apart, each lasting almost a minute). I especially got nervous when she told me “Go ahead and drive a little crazy”.
                The drive up there lasted only 27ish minutes. Once at the hospital everything slowed down. The initial excitement for me had worn off, which left me with only the nervous helplessness of waiting for nurses to gather info, admit us, and for someone to give her the darn epidural already!! It is one thing to be in pain, as a man you are expected to deal with it and show as little as possible. It is entirely different and far more difficult to watch those you love be in pain. This would be one of my toughest tests to date. I really dislike feeling helpless, and that was exactly how I felt through most of the night. All I could do was be present and comforting as possible for Alison. I hope I did okay. Through most of the labor (just up to the epidural, and then again through all the pushing) I was incredibly impressed and proud of Alison. She handled the pain like a champ. Not once did she yell at me or curse me out for getting her pregnant J. She dealt with everything like a Zen Master! When the pain rolled in, she calmed her breathing and focused…on what, I have no idea, but it worked. She stayed calm through what I can only imagine was the greatest pain and discomfort of her life!
                At around 4:30am on Saturday, we were told that it was probably going to be in our best interest, and that of Colin, to go ahead with a C-section. I hadn’t really even considered that to be a possibility up to this point. I just thought he would join us in the traditional fashion. When I realized it wasn’t likely for this to happen my only thoughts were about making sure Alison and Colin were both as safe as they could be. In this case, it happened to be the C-section that made it possible for them both to be safest. From here I became even more nervous. Not just for Alison going off (alone at first) to be cut open, or for Colin to be pulled out of his Mother’s stomach into a strange sterile room with lots of doctors in what looked like welder’s masks, but also a little for me. Would I see something in there that would make me pass out? Would I fail my wife in my one task as the father? In her time of greatest fear (doctors reaching inside her body while she lay there awake and aware...not feeling anything, but still aware), would I pass out and leave her to deal with it all alone?
                Turns out my love and fear for my wife and child trumps my inability to stomach looking at blood without getting woozy. I definitely saw some things in that operating room I would rather forget, but probably never will. I’m pretty sure at one point one doctor handed the other a crowbar…well, it looked like a crowbar to me.  Thankfully we were at a great hospital with some wonderfully talented and experienced doctors. They walked me into the O.R. a little before 6am, began the procedure at 5:57am, and our son was yanked out at 6:04am. Yes, yanked. Alison had pushed long enough and hard enough that Colin was a little stuck down in her pelvis. Just before yanking, one of the doctors across from me told Alison she would feel a little pressure on her chest. At that point, the doctor locked her hands flat on Alison’s chest, locked her elbows straight, and pushed down on her as if she was beginning some great feat of acrobatics. If I had looked under the table, I’m confident that doctor’s feet would not have been on the ground.
                I have never felt such relief as I did when I finally heard Colin cry out the first time. I am still a little emotional thinking about that moment. Our son, whom I had only known as a growing stomach that occasionally kicked at me was finally out, free, and ready to meet the world. The doctors passed him over to the NICU team that had come down for the procedure and they commenced cleanup. I didn’t get a good look at him at first, choosing to focus on Alison right away to make sure she was okay (and also to make sure I didn’t pass out). Alison then gave me permission to go over to Colin and take some pictures. After some time, I looked back over to Alison and all my relief and joy was pushed down to make room for a little more fear and guilt. Fear that Alison was still lying there with her insides open to the world, and guilt for the fact that here I was gushing over our son while my wife still lay there unable to see him, shivering, and still plenty scared. It was at this point I truly wished I could be in two places at once. Part of me needed to be with Colin, to let him know he had come into a world where he was loved and would be cared for. The other part needed to be with Alison, to comfort her and let her know she would be just fine and not alone.
               We finally got a chance to go back to our room with Colin riding shotgun in Alison’s big old bed. I hope I never forget the look of happiness and relief on Alison’s face when her son was set down next to her head for the ride back to the room. Just like his Dad, Colin needed to spend a night up in the NICU under his tanning bed lights to help his little body acclimate to this crazy world. I felt surprisingly calm about this process, mostly because I knew I had gone through it and come out just fine. There was still some fear of something else unknown happening, but mostly I was just so dang happy that I was finally a Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment