However, this post is not about the 2-year-old, it's about Baby #2! We've known for about 2.5 months...wow, that's crazy. We found out just before my birthday; then I ran 7.5 miles the next day. We wanted to make sure that we had told all of our close friends before including it on the blog, but I have been keeping some minor progress updates, so I'll include those below.
First a picture! I was 9 weeks, 5 days, and when we started the ultrasound, our tech said, "I think you're closer to 12 weeks." To which I thought in my head, "There is absolutely no way that I am 12 weeks, as it's physiologically not possible." Granted, I could have been measuring at 12 weeks. But the measurements showed baby was at the size of 10 weeks 0 days.
This baby looked more like a baby than Colin did at his first ultrasound. We could even see just a little bit of movement.
So, some updates from several weeks ago:
August 27, 2014
Almost 6 weeks!
Colin’s going to be a big brother—we’re very excited. We found out the weekend of my birthday, although I had been suspicious as my nose started running a few days before that. That’s one problem I had throughout my pregnancy with Colin.
I thought this time around that I would try to document a
little more consistently. Our first
ultrasound and doctor’s appointment are scheduled for September 26. It seems crazy to me to think that I’ll be
almost out of my first trimester before I see the doctor, when last time I
think I saw the doctor at 7 weeks and again at 9 weeks for an ultrasound.
We haven’t really tried to tell Colin about the pregnancy,
partly because we’re waiting to tell our families this weekend (on his second
birthday), and I didn’t want him to start telling people about the baby in my
belly any sooner than we were ready for.
He’s so very chatty these days.
How far along: 5 weeks, 5 days
Size: Supposedly around an appleseed. No weight gain yet.
Sleep: My sleep is up and down. I feel like an oven lately, and so I have had
trouble with regulating my temperature in the middle of the night. Usually getting up once to go to the bathroom,
as well. My back has started hurting a
little more, so I think I’m going to have to bust out a pillow for when I’m
sleeping on my side.
Queasy or sick: Having some nausea already, which seems
earlier than last time. It also feels
more manageable this time around, and exercise makes it go away. Last time the nausea made me want to avoid
food, this time I find it kicks in when I’m hungry.
Suspicions of baby’s sex: girl
October 9, 2014 (So much for more consistency)
It’s been rough so far. I’ve been feeling pretty badly.
Lots of nausea and exhaustion.
Then after my appointment, they called to tell me that my progesterone
levels were low. This is a little scary
because it could be linked to a higher risk for miscarriage. So on a Friday, I started taking
progesterone, with a warning that it could lead to more nausea and
dizziness. I didn’t notice much
difference on Saturday, but Sunday, I started feeling bad. I thought I was getting a cold, based on my
sore throat. I stayed home Monday, and
then I was pretty sure it was the flu.
And a cold. And pregnancy nausea. I had to go in and teach from 8-10:20 on
Tuesday morning, and when I came home, I got really sick. Thankfully, that seemed to be the worst of
it. I was very weak and tired on
Wednesday, but I seemed to be better (and 5 pounds lighter). It was a good thing that I got better,
because my sister got married that next Saturday, and we had wedding events
beginning Thursday.
Since then, I have been recovering from the cold, which has
been rough. I’m not sleeping well
because I cough a lot at night. I can’t
take cold medicine, so I’m kind of miserable.
I do think the nausea has subsided a lot though, so if I can shake the
cold, I think I’ll be okay. I’m hoping
at my appointment next Monday I will be told I can stop taking the progesterone
(they previously said 12 weeks).
How far along: 11 weeks, 6 days
Size: About a plum?
That seems enormous to me.
Sleep: Still getting up once a night or so for the bathroom.
Sleeping not enough due to the cold, but less back pain.
Queasy or sick: It got much worse before it got better. Exercise wasn’t even feasible. I was too exhausted to walk to the table for
dinner, and I was barely eating. Now it’s
noticeable every couple of days, but it seems better.
Suspicions of baby’s sex: Mom and my friend Victoria say
girl. I don’t have a feeling about it anymore.
Back to the present: October 30, 2014
How far along: 14 weeks, 6 days
Size: Lemon/navel orange
Sleep: I can't get enough. I want to sleep all of the time.
Queasy or sick: Not anymore. I feel a lot better.
Suspicions of baby's sex: No clue. Colin says he wants a "boy sister." Not sure how we'll do that.
Colin understands that there is a baby in my belly, but he also thinks Peter has one in his belly. He knows not to step on me when we sit on the couch. But I don't think that he totally gets it.
We're very excited, and the timing is WONDERFUL. My due date is April 24, which is the last day of classes. I can just have someone proctor my final exam for me during Finals week, and then I can have until August with this baby. I will likely have to schedule my C-section for the week before April 24, and my doctor has assured me she wants to do another C-section, which is fine with me.
A Colin post to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment