Friday, January 6, 2012

Baby Time

It's official! We're having a baby!

I was lucky enough to be able to break the news to Peter on his birthday (Jan 4). We both stayed home from work with terrible colds (although I think mine has morphed into bronchitis), and I found out early in the morning that I was pregnant. I ended up going to the grocery store under cover of buying dog food for the chowhounds, but I also bought him two "birthday" cards. He opened the first typical card, and then he opened the second, which was a "Congratulations" card. I think he was caught off guard and didn't believe it at first, as I lied to him about taking a pregnancy test earlier in the day.

We were fortunate to be able to tell his dad a few hours later over the phone, followed later that evening by his brother's family, sister's family, and finally on Thursday, his mom. In all fairness, we tried to get hold of her first, but she was working all evening. My favorite reaction was Jan's, saying, "I knew this was why you were calling!" I also was given permission to tell my best friend that evening because EB was becoming a bloodhound and asking me questions every other hour about taking pregnancy tests, and I couldn't lie anymore. She was pretty excited.

Tonight we told my family when they came over to take Peter to dinner for his birthday. I had planned on trying to open presents before dinner (as this is how we planned to tell them), but they were hungry, and our plans were delayed another hour or two. By the time we got home, I was starting to sweat! He opened his presents, then on the last one, he pulled out a picture frame and a small clothing type package. He looked at them and said, "These aren't mine," and then handed them to my mom and sister. The picture frame said "Grandkids" on it and had a potential due date listed. (We think it will be around the beginning of September). My sister's little onesie said "I love my auntie" on it. Casie glared at me and said, "Are you freaking kidding me?" I think she thought I was joking with her, but when she realized I wasn't and my mom stopped shrieking, she was very happy. Mom literally jumped up and down and around in circles repeatedly. Dad's always chill with the reactions, but I think he was pretty excited, too. He's really excited to get rid of toys and stuff that they have had stored in their attic :)

So far feeling pretty good. I notice smells a lot more and have felt a little nauseated periodically throughout the day (but this isn't totally unusual for me). I'm tired, but it's probably more from not sleeping due to coughing the entire night. Puppies are pretending to be excited about the little one, but I think Ella's upset at having to give up one of her potential laps.

Here's our proof:

Scheduled for the first doctor visit on January 18 in the morning. I presume we are between 5-6 weeks along.

First lame pregnant joke started the day I told Peter we were pregnant. “If one of your friends hugs you, can I say, ‘Leggo my preggo?’” It may be a long nine months, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment