Thursday, June 14, 2012

Third trimester!

We've successfully made it into the third trimester. I'm very excited to feel like we're in the home stretch, even if I am dreading the humid horror that is Indiana summers. Over the past two weeks, not a lot has happened with us (as opposed to most of Peter's family, who have almost all been moving and have been incredibly busy!) Peter started up another online class this week that meets from 5-9, so he goes to work until 4:30 (sometimes also having class from 1-3:45), then turns on the computer and sits upstairs in the guest bedroom for 4 hours each night. It's a little worse than usual because his professor asks them to all have their webcams on, so he can't work out or walk away as easily as he normally can. Next week, he'll start a class from 9-5 on Wednesday that runs through Saturday, as well as having his online class from 5-9. Oh boy!

Baby and I had another doctor appointment today. Today was the all-exciting glucose test to determine if I have developed gestational diabetes. I'm a little nervous about the results, as I've had a lot of difficulties with low blood sugar since I was younger. I got there before my appointment to get my drink:

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, especially for the first couple of sips...then I was ready to be done with it. No nausea or anything as a side effect. Went upstairs, the NP said everything looked fine, and then I went back down to finish my hour wait before they could draw blood. I honestly would have rather had the drink again. I hate needles...I just stare at the wall the entire time they do it and will myself not to pass out. After, the NP told me to get some protein when I was allowed to eat again, so I came home and had some protein before loading the dogs into the car for a trip to the vet.

Charlie was well-behaved for most of it, and he has lost 2 pounds, so his diet is working. However, Ella has gained 2 pounds, so she is on a diet now, too. She was in a panic the entire time we were there, and I was very thankful that Peter left work to come help me at the vet. Besides the fact that there was no way I could have lifted Charlie onto the table, both dogs were all over the place, and Ella wanted only to have Peter hold her.


That, my friends, is terror. She was crying super loud and pacing the room. When they came to take her to have her nails trimmed, she started to go, but then realized we weren't coming and put the brakes on hard. Needless to say, she survived, and returned only to cry more. 

.

Anyway, the real reason that we were there is that about a week ago, we noticed a mass on Charlie's lower jaw, right behind his front teeth, kind of trying to push through. We noticed it as soon as it showed up because he typically sits in front of us with his mouth open and pants at us to pet him. We waited a couple of days to see if it would go away, and when it didn't, we started doing some online searching. What we found was not encouraging, so we got him in to the vet, and she seemed to be on the same page as us. A lot of dogs can develop tumors (whether benign or malignant) on their jaws, and they can grow quickly, sometimes involving the bone underneath. She said the only way to know for sure is to do a biopsy, for which he will have to be put under anesthesia. We agreed to schedule that for the 25th of June, so hopefully we'll have more information on that soon. He isn't in any noticeable pain, or having difficulty eating or trying to get us to throw his stick for him (although we have refrained from throwing it lately for fear we'll hurt something). I thought it was funny that the vet asked questions about Charlie's limp (the last time that he was in the vet's office), but she didn't even know we had another dog. Ella is always super healthy (if not a little chubby).

We spent last weekend working on the bookshelves for Colin's room, which took a little longer than we expected to assemble. However, they're put together and have been sanded. We just have to find the time to paint them, which could be interesting with Peter's school schedule and all of our weekend activities coming up. We definitely are going to need more books to fill up those big shelves.

Our anniversary (3 years married...basically 7 years together) was Tuesday, and we didn't think we would get to do anything because of Peter's class. It ended up being cancelled RIGHT after we finished eating dinner, so we couldn't go out for dinner. We did go have Coldstone and did some dorky married couple shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond, which was fine by us. We're planning on celebrating Saturday evening.

That's what's going on with us; keep Charlie in your prayers, we're hoping it's benign and that he will be okay...especially because we're not sure how much we can afford after the biopsy.

12 weeks to go!

UPDATE: My doctor's office called this morning, and my glucose test came back abnormal, so I have to do a fasting glucose test now, where they draw my blood 3-4 times in 3 hours. That sounds like torture to me. Anyway, I think I'm going to try and do it tomorrow morning and get it over with; hoping everything is okay with Colin and with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment